I was looking for something a little different to work with and this mini-sideboard became available. It had some good bones but also needed some repairs. The top was damaged and strips of wood veneer had come off. Halfway through this process, I wondered if I had taken on more than I could manage. After a lot of prep work, I applied a coat of satin white paint that turned out to be a VERY bad decision. I then tried to cover it with Rust-oleum’s Anthrazit (a medium grey) but was very disappointed in the outcome. My plan had been to keep the drawers original teak wood laminate (I used linseed oil) but to paint the side door the same colour as the frame. It was so clear that this is not what the piece needed.
Carefully I stripped the colour off the door. Being a veneer, I didn’t have a lot of wiggle room but managed to bring it back to its original colour. By now, however, it needed re-staining, and I had also decided on a grey from Lignocolor called Storm. Not only have I fallen in love with Lignocolor’s chalk paint, but the colour is wonderfully dramatic. It also helped me to reimagine the door. After playing with some design ideas, I used the gold paint used to refresh the door handles and key, Storm chalk paint and a second layer of teak stain to create a bold front. I’m very happy with the result and can’t wait to find a new home for it.